A few days ago I saw Today show’s Hoda Kotb’s quote of the day. It said-Relax, not every page has to be a masterpiece. I think this quote really speaks to the stress and pressure we (at least me) put ourselves under every day. Sometimes it can be so intense and such a powerful force that it almost handicaps our ability to be all that we are meant to be. Wouldn’t it be nice to let that go of that stress and enjoy more of our life?
We are all juggling so many things…family, jobs, life, etc.. The desire to give all we can often puts us under so much pressure that we act in ways and live our lives in ways that almost make us different people. We have this insatiable need to please and need to make others happy. We are almost socially forced to believe we have to make everyone else happy before we make ourselves happy. But wait, isn’t that backwards? Regardless of how much we love someone, how in the world can we make someone else happy if we aren’t happy? Most of the time we can’t, so let’s stop setting ourselves up to be unsuccessful and prepare ourselves for triumph by releasing the stress and pressure!
I know we are all under stress. Some days, and at some times that stress can be tremendous. So how do we release it? Great question! These are a few things I think can help:
- Exercise-one of the only things that will really help me get out of my own head and focus on something else is to get in my 55 minutes of Lift, Tone, Burn at Pure Barre. When instructors, say-get the most out of your 55 minutes, it’s your hour- it’s so true and I love it! Some days I walk in and I feel like I’m carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders and for an hour, I can almost always let it go. Not only do I get in a great workout for my physical health, I also get a great release and clarity for my mental health.
- Talk to a friend-there is nothing quite like a conversation, a visit or a hug from a dear friend to help pick you up the from stress, anger or pressure that you’re feeling. I’m so very thankful for my dear, dear friends…you know who you are!
- Read a book-like the benefits of exercise, reading a book and getting lost in the pages of someone else’s story can also help you temporarily escape from your current trials, tribulations and daily stress. Not to mention you can also learn something in the process!
- Pray-there is nothing like it! Please know, I’m not saying the only time you should pray is when you are stressed, but knowing that ultimately there is a much higher power is very calming and reassuring…in every situation, every moment, and every day.
- Breathe-as simple as it sounds, it works. When times are really tough for me or anyone in my life, I try to remember to just breathe. Good vibes in, bad energy out. Try it, it works!
- Check out and focus on YOU-put the phone, computer, social media, text, email and calls away and do something YOU enjoy! If you want to walk on the beach-do it, if you want to take a nap-do it, if you will feel better by spending an hour doing your favorite hobby-do it! Be selfish, be protective of your time, your soul and your feelings.